Monday, June 7, 2010

Introducing Herb


I am proud to introduce to you my new friend, Herb (like short for Herbert. But it's just Herb). He sits in a lovely pot on my kitchen counter next to my window and smells so good I could eat him. And I'm going to. I'm going to use him on pizzas, in sauces, and pestos, etc. He will be delicious. All spring I've been wishing I had a yard with a garden so I could grow so many things. And then a genius idea hit me, I can plant some things in pots! So Josh and I drove to good ol' Home Depot and found a pot and some soil, then got a lovely plant of basil at the nearby grocer. It smelled so good I kept sniffing it as we walked around the store. You would think I had a bouquet of flowers in front of me. Once we had the necessary equipment, I potted my first plant. I was a little worried at first because my Father-in-law, who should and will one day have a degree in botany, said the there were too many roots and Herb might die...Josh assured me he might struggle a bit, but he won't die. And then my Mother-in-law said she would buy me a new basil plant if Herb does die. I'm grateful for my support system in this new adventure. After 3 days of careful nurturing, sunlight, and water, Herb is doing alright. A little wilty in places, but overall, looking good. I'll let you know how he tastes in a couple weeks after he gets over his shock of transplantation.

2 comments:

Dasha said...

We have a pet basil plant too! He looks really sad right now cause I made pasta the other night and ripped all his leaves off. I'm hoping they grow back...

Kristina and Joe said...

I love your little plant. I am sure he will grow big and strong and give off wonderful basil leafs. I brought my plant down here and because I couldn't put him in the sun, because of the heat and would wilt, all the leaves turned yellow and he died. I know Herb will do much better. Good luck.