Monday, June 14, 2010

Old Glory

I pledge allegiance to the Flag
of the United States of America,
and to the Republic for which it stands:
one Nation UNDER GOD, indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all.

Did you know that several countries have one day a year set aside to honor their flag? Did you know that today is Flag Day in America? June 14th commemorates the adoption of our honored Star-Spangled Banner in 1777. Throughout the years the American Flag has changed in design, but it has always included red and white stripes with white stars against blue. It is unknown where the first design of the American flag came from; many of us learned the Betsy Ross story in elementary school. But not surprisingly, it might be a bit of folklore like the story of George Washington and the cherry tree. What matters is that it was created and it stands boldly to represent our great nation and the ideals that America was founded upon.

Some cities (not very many) celebrate Flag Day with parades. Pennsylvania is the one and only state that has set it aside as a State holiday. The American Legion and other organizations regularly conduct flag-burning ceremonies on Flag Day. Other than that, Flag Day is only celebrated by the flying of our flag. It seems like such a little thing. It's just a flag. But is it really? Francis Scott Key didn't think so. And I don't either.

The more I study the history of America, the more I feel honor and gratitude to be an American. To live in this great nation where there are so many freedoms and opportunities. May I never forget the sacrifices that were made at the founding of this nation through to today. May I never find myself ungrateful for the blessings I enjoy every day because of it. May I always do what I can to preserve our rights and privelges afforded by this nation. May I always honor America, it's symbols, and what it stands for. God Bless America!

No comments: